So, what does the title of this blog mean? Well on Saturday we had a stall at a lovely local Summer fair which consisted of the usual mix of trade and charity stalls as well as a great classic car show. What I discovered over the course of a day was the following:
- Having stalls around a central 'arena' where all the activities take place is a great layout and helps give a wonderful atmosphere. We are lucky to do a few outdoor shows with this type of layout and it means that everyone has a great day - visitors and stallholders alike.
- Dog shows are the best! So many cute and cuddly dogs and the puppies just melt your heart! What a fantastic end to the day to see dogs behaving very naughtily and owners looking terribly embarrassed indeed!
- 'We Have a Winner' Are the four most annoying words to have shouted (oh and I mean shouted) repeatedly from the stall alongside you in their vain attempts to try to get the attention of visitors!! (Perhaps there will be a future post entitled - 'The worst thing about being next to a tombola stall!')
- You should not attempt 'Zumba' in hot sunshine when the person demonstrating it is a young, fit guy who looks like he can Zumba for days without losing his smile or slowing down a pace. A few people who thought it would be good fun to have a go and join in with this new dance/fitness craze but after song no. 2, the beetroot faces and heavy sweats were rapidly being overtaken by looks of panic and those sideways glances that we all know are sly attempts to find a way to duck out and sit down without anyone noticing! After song 5, the St Johns Ambulance attendants were starting to feel like they might suddenly get a rush of business! Major kudos to the Police officer who (with lots of egging on by colleagues) joined in at the back for a few minutes and gave us all a chuckle. Not sure how much blackmailing will follow as colleagues were taking photos, no doubt to reappear at the station Christmas party...
- Packing up a gazebo, ground sheet and all your gear is sooo much easier when it isn't raining cats and dogs. The wind wasn't really helping but still so much better than rain...
- Standing on uneven ground all day plays havoc with your leg muscles. Hubby and I felt like we had just run a marathon rather than stood in a field all day. Ouch!
- No matter how many fairs you have done, how many times you have set up your stall and display, there is always something new to learn and a new layout idea to discover
- However, the real joy of fairs are the people. All ages, all walks of life - it is a joy (most of the time) to be able to chat and share my work and hopefully make a difference to their lives in some small way. (OK, this sounds very grandiose but it is how you feel at the time)
- And finally, I have discovered that rainbows are really popular - everyone loves them and they make people smile. Maybe its that 'sunshine after the rain' thing or just the combination of colours that does it. Who knows but everyone seems to love a rainbow...